Saturday, November 30, 2013

My Natural Oral Hygiene Routine

Over the past few months, I've been slowly making a transition from conventional products to a more natural approach. I've had my doubts but my experience with natural oral products has been a smooth one and I'm pretty happy about this healthy change.

Toothbrush: I use a simple toothbrush, nothing exciting. Although, suggestions would be great to hear!

Natural Toothpaste: I use this toothpaste, it contains neem, wintergreen essential oil, and baking soda to name a few. I prefer this natural toothpaste because it does not contain drugs like fluoride or artificial flavors and colors. It smells minty fresh! Conventional toothpaste is definitely something I can live without.

Tongue Scraper: Its important to clean your tongue at least twice a day. Interestingly enough, many people don't know what a tongue scraper is. It basically scrapes off the white film of bacteria off your tongue (that sounds pretty gross!), revealing its natural pink color. The film of bacteria may be a reason of bad breath, so keep that in mind the next time your breath sinks! Lol.

Floss: Flossing is probably more important than brushing your teeth. It gets rid of the gunk in between the teeth, which is something a toothbrush cannot do. I sometimes get lazy with flossing or sometimes forget, but its important to floss at least once a day.

DIY Mouthwash: I like making my own mouthwash. Its easy, cheap and I know exactly whats in it. Here is my video showing you how to make your own mouthwash.

Here are the ingredients:
1 cup water
1 tablespoon witch hazel
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 drops tea tree essential oil
20 drops peppermint essential oil


Feel free to adjust this recipe to fit your needs.


Oil Pulling: Aside from mouthwash, there is also oil pulling which is similar to swishing your mouth with mouthwash except its with coconut oil.. and for 20 minutes! I have tried this before and I have to admit the next morning when I woke up I noticed my breath felt fresher than usual. It definitely is a lot of work so if your not lazy with dental hygiene be sure to give it a try. It supposedly has a lot of great health benefits too other than whiter teeth and fresher breath.

Teeth Whitening: I parted with my Crest White Stripes a few years ago. I had a love hate relationship with them. I loved white stripes because they made my teeth pearly white but hated them because they made my teeth sensitive and my gum hurts. So now I use Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to whiten my teeth. I have only used this combo a few times I have not seen a major difference. I have also heard about whitening teeth with activated charcoal. I think I'll try this next.

What do you guys do to whiten teeth the natural way? I'd love to know :)

For links on exactly what I buy check out this link!


No comments:

Post a Comment